Newsletter - The Truth about Death and Resurrection
“As by a man comes death, by a man also comes the resurrection of the dead; for as all in Adam die, even so shall all in Christ be made alive.” — 1 Corinthians 15:21-23
There is a longing hope within mankind that death does not end all existence. But can we find a rational basis for believing in life after death? There are so many religions and so many philosophies as to the state of the dead that it is hard to discern the truth of the matter. As Bible students, we should refer to the Bible alone for doctrinal clarity.
How Does the Bible Describe the Death State?
Human life is composed of the body organism and the mind. The body is made up of the inanimate elements of the earth, while the conscious mind is made up of the composite of experience — the ability to reason, learn, communicate, create, worship, appreciate beauty and exercise free-will. This composite of the body and the mind is what makes up the individual, and death, therefore, is the state at which the individual ceases to exist. By inspiration, King David confirmed this thought: “His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth, in that very day his thoughts perish.” (Psalm 146:4) Thus, the dead are not conscious, for the mind ceases to exist and the body decomposes. “...there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.” (Ecclesiastes 9:10) Death, therefore, is the exact opposite of life.
Read more, download the newsletter The Truth about Death and Resurrection
Valuable Bible Study Resources
To learn more about the subjects treated in our newsletter issues or other Biblical topics, we suggest the following resources:
- Bible Resources app: Available for both Android and OS phones, this free Christian app offers morning and evening devotions, hymns, Biblical videos, Biblical questions and answers, and past and current Biblical sermons. Each may be listened to online or downloaded, and saved to play when you don’t have internet access.
- Bible Trivia app: Available for both Android and OS phones, this fun free Christian app challenges your Biblical knowledge through a simple quiz game format that shows your accuracy and speed. You learn more about the Bible through a fun format. Additionally it offers a free guide to the Bible.
- The Herald Magazine: This thematic bi-monthly magazine, published by the Pastoral Bible Institute, offers in-depth articles on the issues theme. Each issue also contains a quick review of news and current events that are of interest. Available in printed or online format the magazine offers a balance of issues on Christian living and Biblical doctrine. This magazine is a great help for both the beginning and serious student of God’s Word. http://herald-magazine.com
- Christian Questions: This weekly Christian podcast aims to provoke meaningful discussion along spiritual lines, inviting you to “Think about the Bible like you never have before.” The program welcomes listener participation, encouraging a nurturing, politically-free environment of expression on biblical topics. Providing a comprehensive perspective on a wide range of studies they delve deeper into the layers of Scripture and how they relate to our lives. http://christianquestions.com
- WJYS TV: WJYS TV-62 is a local cable station that offers offers a taped 30 minute Biblical lecture every Sunday morning at 5:00 a.m. from Fort Worth, Texas. Each lecture covers a different Biblical topic and shows how God is working out His plan for the blessing of all mankind. http://wjys.tv/our-schedule